Monday, February 8, 2016

Gram's Scrap Quilt

A couple of years ago, my parents were here for a visit.  My mom was flipping though a stack of my quilting magazines and spotted a quilt that was an ad for something (I don't remember what).She obviously wanted it. ;)

I took her on a field trip to my favorite local quilt shop and asked her to pick out one fabric that she really loved. She did that, then I picked out a few fabrics that went well with that.  We brought it all home and I rummaged through my stash to find a few more fabrics to finish off the design.

It was one of those patterns with lots of waste.  You know the kind here you sew a diagonal seam and then trim off the excess fabric?  I hate waste!  I am one of  those people that is on a mission to have a waste free home.  I also reuse or find a purpose for just about everything in my studio.  I have 9 boxes of string fabrics sorted by color.  I keep 3 different sets of boxes for various size scraps.  Even the tiny bits of fabric that should go in the trash, I save and fill up trash bags then donate that to the local shelter that makes pillows for the homeless.  That being said, I don't like 'goose poop' (those left over triangles from making flying geese).  When I know that a pattern will create lots of waste from cutting these diagonal seams, I will simple sew a second seam 1/2 inch away from the first, trim the block and viola, I have a whole set of half square triangles to play with.  This is what I did with my mom's quilt and this was the result:



Lots and lots of jewel tone and Asian themed fabrics, I would be crazy to throw away this beautiful mess right?  I am pretty sure my need not to waste things was inherited from my Grandmother. This is a picture of here taken a few months ago with my brother.


She is my Mom's Mom and was born in 1933 in England, some quick math and basic knowledge of history will tell you that as a child she survived the German Blitzkrieg.  She came away from that with few things and little education (who has time to worry about little girl's education with a war on).  Even though things turned out all right for her, she met and married an American serviceman in 1953, traveled the world and settled in Las Vegas in the early 70s where they finished raising their 5 children.  She has always been frugal and well a nervous person.  She doesn't like to have things that don't serve a purpose and decorating has never really been her thing.  When I asked her if she would like a quilt, she just sort of shruged and said 'I have plenty of blankets'.

While I was trying to decide what to do with the left over bits, Grammy (as the grand kids always called her) popped into my head. I thought 'she won't tell me what she wants but this is what she is going to get'.  I mean what kind of quilter doesn't make a quilt for their grandmother, right?  The sort of trip around the world look with half square triangles has always appealed to me, I just never had an opportunity to make one.  With all of the blocks sharing the same cream on cream print, the pattern came together quickly.  I had to make about 100 extra blocks to get it to the size that I liked.  That also used up most of the left over fabric from my mom's quilt too.  I am always happy when I DON'T add more scraps to my collection.  This was the end result of all that:





I opted for an allover quilting motif with dragonflies in a cream colored thread. She not only likes the quilt, my mom says she uses it on her bed everyday.  Being the worried person that she is, she tends to save things for special occasions.  That means that most of the things she cherishes don't see the light of day very much. I hope that she gets many more years out of this quilt, it is one of my favorites!









2 comments:

Jeanne said...

The quilt is lovely! Your mom looks very happy with it. I couldn't throw out those waste triangles either. :-)

Cindy Proehl said...

LOVE it, I also love the dragonfly quilting! I have a ton of scraps from over the years...now I know the pattern that I can use for making a quilt from them!